- Murky, Baby Murloc
Murky’s history, like that of much of the murloc race in the Warcraft universe, is shrouded in mystery. Murlocs evolved for survival in the dangerous aquatic environments of Azeroth, giving Murky a uniquely persistent presence. At face value this petite murloc may not appear to be as formidable as other Heroes, but in Heroes of the Storm, Murky takes on the role of a Specialist who wears down opponents by repeatedly respawning from his cleverly-hidden eggs a few second after being killed. Just when you thought you got rid of him, he's baaaack!
Mrgglglbrlg rmrmgllg mrggggm. Mrrglglgy, mgllglgl mgggrrmgl? MRGGGLGLLM! Mrrggllgggllggll mrrglrlg mrrg mrrg mrrrg.
The origins and history of the murloc race are shrouded in mystery. A large part of this is because their lore is passed down their own oral tradition, which is almost incomprehensible to most other sentient races, but also because murlocs generally have very little tolerance for other races. Murlocs often congregate in heavily populated coastal settlements, and are more than willing to assist each other when threatened. While many have debated on their intelligence, there is reason to believe that their use of weaponry and uncanny fighting abilities may actually imply that they possess a rather sinister racial intellect.
Like the enigmatic origins of the murloc race, Murky’s past is also veiled in a variety unanswered questions. Who is he? Where does he come from? He dies again and again, and yet each time, returns to life from his egg. Stranger yet, when he emerges, he looks and sounds precisely the same. Does he possess unspeakable powers? Could he be immortal?
The world may never know.
- Murky’s "Spawn Egg" [D] can be placed anywhere on the Battlegrounds. Hide your egg behind bushes or uncommon areas to maximize the potential of the egg not being found.
- Make sure to use "Pufferfish" [W] when the enemy isn’t paying attention. The Pufferfish can be targeted down by enemy Heroes, so placement is key!
- Use "Safety Bubble" [E] as a safe way to reach enemies trying to turn in coins on Blackheart’s Bay. The slightest delay can allow teammates the time to setup a proper team fight around the turn-in point.
"I am the terror that backstrokes in the night."
Murky may not have an imposing presence, but his starting skin in Heroes of the Storm means business!
- Grunty Murky - Alright, fess up... Who put the murloc in that power armor? Sammy? We talked about this... Guys, this is real cute and all, but how the heck are we supposed to get him out of there?
The original concept art for the Heroes version of Murky!
"Underwater no one can hear you scream. It’s true."
- Murky, Baby Murloc
- Murky can’t speak English, but he can write it.
- Aside from the makrura that share the murloc language, the Protoss are the only ones who understand Murky. Literally. You have to be a mind reader to translate the gurgling.
- In Nerglish, "Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle" can mean either "lil' Timmy fell down a well" or "Brightwing's about to eat your face."
- Murky’s favorite snack is the pufferfish, which also makes for a dangerous weapon!
- Murky starts to stink after three days.
- Licking a murloc will grant you visions, usually of you being mauled by an angry murloc.
- Murky doesn’t like tartar sauce.
- Murlocs were responsible for the death of Warchief Vol’jin’s father!
- The Level 80 Elite Tauren Chieftain performed the song I Am Murloc at BlizzCon 2007. The song appears on the band's fictional album 'Udder Chaos'.
"I Am Murloc" Music Video
- Players in World of Warcraft are able to summon a variety of cute and fearsome murloc pets that can be used in Pet Battles!
- "He just keeps coming back. And I thought the zerg were persistent!" –Jim Raynor
- "When Murky tells you to "clam up" it doesn't mean what you think it means. Trust me." –Tychus Findlay
- "If at first you don't succeed, die, die again!" –Murloc marching orders
- "DING! 100,000 kills. Notice I didn’t say honorable." –Murky
- "I’m the gift that keeps on giving." –Murky
Since their first appearance in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, many talented artists have sought to illustrate the enigmatic murloc race. Below are six fantastic pieces of fan art featuring Murky and other lively murlocs, which were submitted by talented artists from around the globe.
|"Murky Plush" by Sofakitty||"Murloc" by Izuael|
|"Murlocr" by Isra||"Captain Cookie" by Rui Zhang (linxz)|
|""Run away!" by Yanmo Zhang（章彦末|
Murlocs may appear colorful and somewhat simple to the casual observer, but they actually became unwittingly responsible for the shape of the present-day Horde in the Warcraft universe! Murloc attacks on the Darkspear troll tribe spurred the Warchief Thrall and his orc warriors to drive off the marauding murlocs and to form an alliance between the Darkspear Trolls and the Orcish Horde which lasts to the present day. This alliance between orcs and trolls would come to form the heart of the modern day Horde, who would later be joined by the tauren, Forsaken, blood elves, goblins and most recently, some members of the Pandaren race.
If you’re interested in learning more about murlocs, Murky, and the mystifying world they inhabit, make sure to check out the following related content:
- Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (Game – 2002)
- The Last Guardian (Novel – 2002)
- Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (Game – 2003)
- World of Warcraft (Game – 2004)
- World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game (Game – 2005)
- Warcraft Legends Vol. #4: "Bloodsail Buccaneer" (Graphic Novel – 2009)
- World of Warcraft: The Magazine (Magazine – 2010)
- Stormrage (Novel – 2010)
- World of Warcraft Comic: #9 (Comic/Graphic Novel – 2011)
- Gallywix: Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince (Digital Novella – 2011)
- Pearl of Pandaria (Graphic Novel – 2012)
- Quest for Pandaria (Digital Novella – 2012)
- Shadows of the Horde (Novel – 2013)
You can check out some official art and screenshots featuring Murky and other murlocs below:
|Murlocs as first seen in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos||A murloc encampment in World of Warcraft|
"You can kill me, but I’ll just keep coming back."
We hope you’re enjoying our lively Murky week! What’s been your favorite part so far, and what else would you like to see? Let us know in the comments below!