Early this year, we kicked off our Opening Moves series, where we took a closer look at the early game of competitive World of Warcraft. We followed up in July with Midgame Moves. This week, to celebrate the end of the year, we’ve been bringing you Endgame Moves.
Welcome to the penultimate story of WoW’s Endgame Moves Week. Today we’re focusing on what to do once an overall game plan has come together—and it’s time to go for the jugular.
How the Pros Do It
We asked René “Swapxy” Pinkera to discuss setups for a variety of compositions. Here are his topline notes on how to get kills with a Rogue/Mage/Priest comp, AKA RMP:
- RMP can kill any target when using your offensive cooldowns together.
- Combustion/Vendetta or Dark Archangel can easily take down someone in a stun.
- Try to crowd-control (CC) as many targets as possible before you Kidney your kill target.
- Here’s a sample kill setup: Blink > Dragon’s Breath the healer > Polymorph > Kidney the kill target > use cooldowns such as Combustion
And as for Rogue/Priest/Shaman, AKA RPS:
- Try to apply damage-over-time spells on multiple targets while chaining your CC on the healer.
- Your combos will be much deadlier if the entire team is playing offense in unison.
- The healer needs to know when he should help with offensive purges and CC to secure a kill.
- An easy and reliable kill setup could look like this: Kidney the kill target > Psychic Horror the healer > Fear healer > Silence the healer
How You Can Do It, Too
RMP and RPS are of course not the only viable compositions if you want to win. We asked Swapxy, 2018 AWC champion Charles “Cdew” Dewland, and Artur “Vilaye” Riabtchenko to suggest some good comps for you to play on ladder with your friends. Here’s what they had to share:
- Swapxy: “Turbo (Enhance Shaman and Arms Warrior) is a solid composition and not difficult to play. High damage and overall pressure will result in many quick kills, but you also have the potential to outlast your opponent. With strong defensive gameplay, it’s more likely you can reach high rating as Turbo.”
- Vilaye: “Shadow Priest/Balance Druid (AKA Owlplay), due to how tanky it is and how easy it can be to pick up with the pressure it applies.”
- Swapxy (with a nod of agreement from Cdew): “Jungle (Feral Druid and Survival Hunter) is popular on both the EU and NA server. High damage and control make this comp super strong. Maintain high damage by spreading your damage-over-time spells on one or two targets while constantly going for stun/trap combos on the healer. Try to avoid damage by kiting in between your foes to min/max your odds of winning.”
Thanks Swapxy, Vilaye, and Cdew! For more Endgame Moves, see our previous stories in the series—Lessons from Arena in 2018, Going Fast in Mythic Plus dungeons, and Getting to "Go" in Arena. Tomorrow, to close out the week, we’ll take a look at what happens when some familiar faces use a Moonkin Druid as a tank in a Mythic Plus dungeon. No, we’re not joking.